of Bangladesh College of Physicians
Excellence is the Only Mark
Bangladesh College of Physicians and Surgeons has been the pioneer
in developing post-graduate medical education in this country.
Historically, the College bears a heritage to College of Physicians and
Surgeons of Pakistan of which it was the eastern wing. Following the
independence of Bangladesh, the College was recreated as a statutory body
by a Presidential order, later on ratified by an act of the parliament, to
steer postgraduate medical education of a vastly populated, poorly
resourced and war ravaged country. With the grace of Almighty and under an
ever-unfolding leadership of its fellows, the College has achieved the
iconic status in the field of postgraduate medical education of this
country. It has definitely been able to set a mark for others to cherish
The Government of the Peoples' Republic
of Bangladesh constituted an adhoc committee
of the College with Professor K S Haque
as the President in 1972. All fellows
of the College of Physicians and Surgeons
of Pakistan who hailed from Bangladesh
were admitted as the founder fellows.
With great endeavours and untiring efforts,
these people were able to hold the first
examination in July 1972. A memorable
and mighty move was the shift of the
College to its own premises at Mohakhali
in January, 1982. The College owes this
achievement to its the then president
Prof. MA Matin.
Formation and Administration
The College is constituted by its founder
fellows, fellows without examination,
honorary fellows and fellows admitted
on passing the prescribed examination.
The college council comprises of 20
councillors to Govern the College. Out of 20 councillors 16 councillors are
elected by its fellows and 4 are nominated
by the Government amongst the fellows.
The council is responsible for the general direction of the general affairs of the college. Academic activities of the College are
carried out under fourteen faculties
including faculty of Basic Sciences,
faculty of Medicine, faculty of Family
Medicine, faculty of Surgery including
Dentistry, faculty of Gynaecology and
Obstetrics, faculty of Paediatrics,
faculty of Psychiatry, faculty of Radiology-Imaging
and Radiotherapy, faculty of Ophthalmology,
faculty of Anaesthsiology, faculty of
Haematology, faculty of Otolaryngology
and faculty of Physical Medicine &
Rehabilitation, faculty of Dermatology and Venereology.Their main functions
are to make recommendations on academic
activities within their jurisdiction
and conduct teaching and training programme.
Premise and Accommodation
The campus of the College is situated
over three acres of land at Mohakhali,
Dhaka. Presently the offices are housed
in three buildings:
The Old building: The ground floor of
the three-storied building accommodates a decorated lobby, President's room,
Vice-President's room, one meeting room, and general store.
The first floor
houses the auditorium, Department of Medical Education, Old Council room, a
multipurpose class room. Two examination halls are situated on
the second floor. There is lawn in the backyard.
The Academic Building: The academic building accommodates
Department of Examinations, Examination
halls, Class rooms, Council room, Department
of Press and Publications, Skill Development Lab, Department
of Information Technology & IT Lab, Library and
Archives with Electronic Library, Digital Museum, Department of Research and
Training Monitoring, Cafeteria, Prayer
Room, Faculty Office, Dormitory and
The New Building: Construction of new 10-storied building having thousand square feet in each floor is in progress. In first and second phase up to 4th
floor with one basement has been completed.The new building accommodates a decorated lobby with reception desk in ground floor,
Secretary's Office, Treasurer's Office, Director Admin's Office, Department of Administration, Department of Finance, in first floor,
OSPE, Examination Halls, in 2nd and 3rd floor and Multipurpose Hall in 4th floor.
Teaching: Weekend courses in basic science
are conducted for FCPS part-I examinees.
The weekend courses continue throughout
the year on Thursdays and Fridays except
in the months of January, June, July
Orientation training programme on "How to
Write a Dissertation" are conducted
by the college for FCPS part-I passed
doctors regularly. Training of the Trainers (TOT) programmes on
"How to Guide and Review a Dissertation"
are also conducted by the college simultaneously
for the newly acriditated guide and reviewers.
Hands on training on Basic Surgical Skills are conducted for trainers and trainees
in the Skill Development Lab of BCPS. In the last year the number of 09(nine)
training programmes on Emergency Obstetric Care(EOC) and Neonatal Care(NC)
for the FCPS part-II students and the number of 01(one) TOT on EOC & NC were held at Skill Development Lab of BCPS in
collaboration with Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine(LSTM), UK.
Basic Computer training are provided to the Fellows of the College
in IT Lab of BCPS. TOT on Temporal Bone Dissection are held at Skill Development Lab.
is offered in the following subjects:
General subjects (22)
1) Medicine, 2) Surgery, 3) Paediatrics, 4) Obstetrics & Gynaecology, 5)Ophthalmology, 6) Otolaryngology, 7) Psychiatry, 8) Anaesthesiology, 9) Radiology & Imaging,10) Radiotherapy, 11) Dermatology & Venereology, 12) Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation, 13) Haematology, 14) Biochemistry 15) Histopathology, 16) Microbiology, 17) Conservative Dentistry & Endodontics, 18) Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, 19) Prosthodontics, 20) Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopaedics, 21) Transfusion Medicine and 22) Family Medicine.
Specialized subjects (25)
1) Gastroenterology, 2) Neurology, 3) Nephrology, 4) Endocrinology & Metabolism, 5) Cardiology, 6) Pulmonology, 7) Hepatology, 8) Rheumatology, 9) Infectious Disease & Tropical Medicine,10) Urology, 11) Neuro-surgery, 12) Cardiovascular Surgery, 13) Thoracic Surgery, 14) Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, 15) Orthopaedic Surgery, 16) Paediatric Surgery,17) Neonatology, 18) Paediatric Haematology & Oncology, 19) Paediatric Nephrology, 20) Paediatric Gastroenterology & Nutrition, 21) Paediatric Pulmonology, 22) Paediatric Neurology & Development, 23) Feoto-Maternal Medicine, 24) Gynaecological Oncology, 25) Reproductive Endocrinology & Infertility. Preliminary FCPS part-II examinations
are being conducted for FCPS in specialised
Membership is offered in the subjects (16)
of: 1) Medicine, 2) Surgery, 3) Paediatrics,
4) Obst. & Gynae, 5) Ophthalmology, 6)Otolaryngology,
7) Psychiatry, 8) Anaesthesiology, 9)Radiology-Imaging,
10) Radiotherapy, 11) Dermatology & Venereology.
12) Dental Surgery, 13) Forensic Medicine, 14)Family
Medicine , 15) Transfusion Medicine, 16) Clinical Pathology.
Examinations follow delicate evaluation and scoring
system that are very unique to this
College. This helps to produce fellows
and members with high levels of proficiency
to match the needs of medical profession.
The final fellowship examination also
requires acceptance/defence of a dissertation
undertaken by the candidates. In order
to optimize assessment the college has
introduced OSPE\OSCE in part-II preliminary
and final examinations in partial replacement
of conventional oral and practical examination.
Continuing Professional Development
Programme: Regular programme aims at
updating Fellows knowledge and capacity
building are organized under CPD programme. Besides, workshop, seminar
and meetings are also held on different
matters of interest and contemporary
Exchange of examiners in different specialties
exists between the BCPS and the Royal
Colleges of UK and also with regional
countries like Pakistan, India, Srilanka, Singapore,
Thailand, Saudi Arabia and Malaysia.
The College confers fellowship and membership
the Fellowship is awarded in two
ways: Fellowship through regular examinations and Honorary Fellowship. Fellowship without examinations are no longer awarded .
Memberships are awarded on passing a
prescribed examination. By now, 111
persons have been awarded fellowships
without examination while 210 others
have received honorary fellowships.
So far 124 foreign nationals have received
such fellowships. The total number of
fellowships and memberships awarded
through regular examinations are 4518
and 2418 respectively.
The qualifications conferred by the
College are recognized for the purpose
of registration, job, higher education
and training in many different countries
of the World.
BCPS has reciprocity with the
College of Physicians and Surgeons Pakistan.
By the Grace of Almighty Allah and by
the wisdom and hard work of the fellows
the College has built a rich heritage
in not only philosophical and conceptual
aspects but also in academic and service
spheres. The country largely owes its
specialist medical practice to the College.
Most of the medical teachers and consultants
are the fellows and members of this
College. Besides working in major specialties
of medical science, fellows and members
of this College have undertaken to diverse
other subspecialties and have pioneered
their practice development in this country.
Today, there is hardly any corner of
the country where a product of this
College is not engaged in humanitarian
medical services and its development.
There are also fellows and members working
all over the globe having carried with
them the fervour and fame of this College.
Expectedly in the years to come the
riches in heritage shall continue to
Benchmark Achievements: The
benchmark achievements in past years
have been the introduction of:
1. Comprehensive electronic management
of examinations (e-management).
2. Electronic connectivity system.
3. Examiner's data base.
4. Trainees' database and Research &
Training Monitoring functions.
5. Expansion of the prospective fellows'
training base through identification
and recognition of appropriate institutions.
6. Preliminary FCPS Part-II Examination
in specialized subjects.
7. Introduction of OSPE/OSCE in FCPS
Part-II preliminary and final Examination.
8. Eshtablishement of a Question Bank for FCPS
9. Traniers' and Trainees' Essential
Capacity Building Programmes in writing
10. Development of Software for online application and related work for different examinition
11. Conduction of hands on training programmes for the Fellows
and Trainees in the Skill Development Lab.
12. Conduction of IT Training in the IT Lab for
the Fellows and Trainees.
13. Continuous submission of six months training progress report of FCPS-II trainees and assessment of training by random interview of trainee's performances
14. Expediting the review process of dissertation protocol by a panel of experts in the Colleges campus.
15. Development of a Training Monitoring Module.
16. Establishment of a modern library
including electronic library.
17. Renovation and upgradation of ground floor of old building and renovation & development of Cafeteria.
18. Construction of a unique
of the college.
19. Installation of a Neon Sign of the college.
20. Allocation of 2.94 Acres of land at Mohakhali area for the college by the govt.
21. Holding EOC and NC training in the Skill Development Lab
22. Holding Temporal Bone Dissection (TBD) for trainers and trainees in the Skill Development Lab.
23. Construction and functioning Up to 4th floor with one basement of a new 10-storied building has been completed, which will meet the problems of accommodation to some extent
24. Successful holding of Joint Scientific
Conference with CPSP at Dhaka.
Establishment of the department of Medical
2.Introduction of teleconferencing & videoconferencing.
3.Process of preparing module on teaching and assessment methodology
for teachers and students.
4.Prepare and updating the Course curriculum and logbooks in the different
5. Development of software for Training Monitoring.
6. Development a software for e-logbook.
7.To organize Basic Laparoscopic Surgery, Advance Trauma Life Support(ATLS) and
Advance Cardiac Life Support(ACLS) training programme at Skill Lab.
8. To complete vertical extension of new building from 5th to 9th floor.
9. To organize an international scientific conference at Dhaka in collaboration with CPSP and other
sister colleges abroad.